Costa Rica was rated by the New Economics Foundation as the “Happiest Place on Earth” according to their annual Happy Planet Index. Well, we couldn’t agree more. Like many of our ex-pat neighbors, we travelled here in search of a great vacation or with a curiosity then left with plans to move our families and start a business. So, what is it about this small little country that captivates the hearts of its citizens and visitors? We put together our top ten reasons why WE love Costa Rica.
1. The Beauty. It is so much fun to hear and see the reaction of our customers when we tour them through the spectacular landscapes of Costa Rica. The majestic mountains rising sharply from the Pacific Ocean full of lush green primary rainforest combined with panoramic ocean views never ceases to amaze our customers or ourselves. We often have to pinch ourselves and be grateful for the opportunity to live in such a beautiful place.
2. The People. As the Happy Planet Index states, Costa Ricans or “Ticos” are the happiest on the planet. They are warm and generous to their guests and neighbors. In general, the culture places a higher emphasis on maintaining good relationships, which promotes a very neighborly and positive vibe by Ticos.
3. The Beaches. The beaches of Costa Rica are like something out of a James Bond film. When you picture exotic beaches with lush mountains, palm trees, seclusion, and incredible sunsets, you’re picturing Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast. You will not be disappointed. These beaches are incredible. Our office is literally a stone’s throw away from the beach, so, it may not be unusual for us to answer your call from the shade of a palm tree while we take a quick break from the office.
4. The Lifestyle. If we had a dime for every time one of our customers, friends, or neighbors said they are trying to escape the “rat race”, well, you know the cliché. Costa Rica’s laid-back and friendly lifestyle focuses on community, family, and friendships. With families of our own, we decided that raising our children in this environment will ensure they have the right priorities in life. The dining, adventures, diversity, and casual style of Costa Ricans takes the edge off and keeps everything in perspective.
5. The Opportunity. If you’re looking for a place to start a business or make an investment, Costa Rica offers endless opportunities. The tiny nation is not tiny on responsible and sustainable development as they move closer to their goal of joining the world’s elite developed nations in educational, health, industrial, technological, and environmental standards. Costa Ricans are well-educated with numerous international tech companies operating manufacturing and assembly operations in the Central Valley. As more visitors flock to Costa Rica and consider retirement or second homes, the opportunity to provide services and products that ex-pats are accustomed to, is enormous.
6. The Culture of Family & Friends. Costa Ricans place a very high priority on family and friends. They value their relationships and make a priority of spending time together. As we became more rooted in our communities, the friendships with our Costa Rican neighbors only grew stronger. Costa Ricans don’t have to schedule or “make time” for family and friends. Family get-togethers, day trips, parties, picnics, events, and gatherings are a way of life. We quickly learned to adjust!
7. The Climate. Costa Rica is located between the 8th and 12th parallels north of the equator giving it a tropical climate. We enjoy a year round average temperature of 81 degrees on the South Pacific Coast with cooler breezes only a few minutes up the mountains overlooking the Pacific Coast. The luxury of wearing tee shirts, shorts, and sandals year round cannot be overstated!
8. The Adventure. Living in a foreign country inherently provides some adventures as you learn the language and adjust to cultural differences. We also love the adventures of surfing, hiking, sport-fishing, exploring the rainforests and waterfalls, and dodging flying objects thrown from howler monkeys! Costa Rica is loaded with exotic wildlife, trails, rivers, waterfalls, beaches, mountain roads, remote villages, flora & fauna, national parks, and much more to keep your weekends (and weekdays) full of adventure.
9. The Food. Can you get the best pineapple of your life for a $1.50? It’s the norm down here. As you drive the winding roads through the exotic landscape of Costa Rica, you’ll pass numerous little fruit stands where you can load up on delicious fresh produce. Our community in Dominical and the South Pacific Coast features a fusion of cuisines from Thai, French, Italian, American, and Local (Typical). The meats and seafood are very healthy and you can taste the difference. I personally love to go down to my local beach in Dominicalito and meet the fisherman as they’re coming in on skiffs with fresh tuna, lobster, shrimp, mahi-mahi, snapper, and more. Sashimi anyone?
10. Did we Say the Beaches? I don’t know if I mentioned that we love the beaches, but just to make sure… The beaches are incredible whether you’re looking for great waves, seclusion, or beautiful scenery.