With all the great property deals in Costa Rica it’s not unusual that house hunters often wind up with two homes to choose between. Whether you are making the move to Costa Rica or you are looking for an income generating investment here are a few things you should consider to ensure you make the right choice.
While you have a favorite, your partner has another, how do you make sure that the house you choose is the best option? Making that final decision and deciding on which property should not be taken lightly. While it should be acknowledged that it is still very much a buyers’ market in Costa Rica, please don’t think that is going to buy you extra time. Homes that are in a popular investment area and in your price range can get snatched up quickly and might even attract multiple options.
Here are a couple of pointers you may want to consider:
* Where are the properties? What are the neighborhoods like? If the properties you have shortlisted are in two different areas think about which is closest to essential amenities? How well are the surrounding homes maintained?
* If you are considering relocating to Costa Rica and have children think about which property is closest to a school. While doing research online is a great way to get an insight in the best educational facilities your children’s education is important enough for you to schedule a visit to different schools in the area.
* Compare the two properties to others in the immediate area. Are the properties in a similar price range or are they more expensive or significantly cheaper?
* The South Pacific of Costa Rica is home to several areas of development. As your realtor to review sales of homes in each of the respective areas and whether there is an important percentage increase.
* What about the sellers? Are they motivated? Find out how long each of the properties has been on the market. If one of the properties has been for sale for longer you might have a better chance to negotiate. Try to get to the bottom of why they are selling.
* The houses themselves. Make a list of the amenities that each of the homes have. Whether the bedrooms are larger, whether the kitchen needs replacing and if there is a lot of land.
* Make a list of the negative you can see for each of the properties and how much of an impact this will have.
As you work your way through this initial list you’ll either get a clear leader or that they both continue to be equal. If this is the case, then make another visit to each of the properties, you might notice something you didn’t before. Once you have decided and are ready to put in an offer, it’s good to know that you will have a back-up property in case the deal doesn’t close.
B&B In Uvita – $300,000
This 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom property is located in the beautiful South Pacific coastal community of Uvita. For a sale price of $300,000 with a total floor area of 400 sqm and lot area of 2264.2 sqm this is a fantastic property for investment.
This is a fully-furnished property that is surrounded by an unspoiled tropical landscape. With vaulted wood ceilings and a fully appointed modern kitchen this is paradise property. A sunken living room with French doors leads to the back patio and pool area surrounded by mango, papaya and lime trees.
This property is positioned close to a wide range of eco-tourism adventure tours and the best surfing hotspots in the South Pacific. The Marino Ballena National Park home to the famous whale tail sandbank is but minutes away.
Bed & Breakfast with 3K– Ojochal, Puntarenas – $269,000
This 4 bedroom 5 bathroom property has a total floor area of 560 sqm surrounded by an incredible 1.26 Ha of land. At only 15 minutes away from some of the best beaches in the country this property is on the market for $269,000 and is a fantastic investment opportunity. A commercial and residential property rolled into one this prime piece of Costa Rica real estate has two separate gated entrances. The property includes a 4 bedroom B&B, a full restaurant and bar (added value of $30k liquor license) with huge patio and tiled fountain that could function as a yoga center. There is also a large garage/workshop with parking space for 6 cars. This property is positioned close to a local school, library and grocery store. The previous owner was a much loved member of the Ojochal community, since his passing his family has decided to put this property up for sale.