Many of the visitors and seasonal residents who enjoy the world-class beaches of Dominical are not aware that the government and municipality do not provide any support for the Lifeguards who protect our visitors and residents. The Dominical Lifeguards are supported by donations and fundraising events in the local community. Our Lifeguards save lives every year and keep our beaches safe for tourism. Help us support the Dominical Lifeguards and enjoy some great food, spirits, and prizes this Saturday, June 30th at Roca Verde. The event starts at 12pm.
The Dominical Lifeguard Program got its start more than 17 years ago after local surfers got together and recruited a professional lifeguard from the U.S. to build a professional program that would save lives. The surfers were concerned about the “unofficial” average of 20 deaths per year from drowning on Dominical Beach. This was unacceptable and the community of surfers went into action. The program is still running and provides essential services and results like:
- More than 1,000 Documented Critical Rescues
- Countless Deaths from Drowning Avoided from Lifeguard Rescues and Prevention
- Public Assistance and Safety is provided 365 days a year.
- Providing a Employment and training to locals
- Lifeguard Service is essential to being deemed a “Safe Beach” which is crucial for Tourism and local businesses
The program has survived on local community support since 1996 as promised funding from local government still waits. We all know that the need of providing safe beaches for our loved ones can’t wait. Visit www.dominicallifeguards.org and click “Donate” to help this program continue to save lives.